1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Space requirements for geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by CedarAcres, Oct 9, 2013.

1. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    One thing we've never had is geese, and we're thinking that we'd possibly like to get some. Is there a general guideline for space requirements for geese? Would a 8x8 coop work? We're thinking of having an attached run in case we need to contain them, but having them spend most of their time free ranging. And do they generally get along with ducks? We have a neighbor who's a few acres away that has ducks that sometime swim down the stream to our property and will sometimes spend the day in our yard. Anything else I should consider when thinking about getting geese? Thanks!

2. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    An 8x8 coop might work to shut in 2 geese at night. During the day they would need much more space. In a space like that 2 would be the max alone. Geese vary in their degree of toleration with ducks. Some love them, some hate them and some are between. My gander and his first mate was raised with ducks so he used to love them. Now he tolerates them but despises chickens especially roosters. Boris, my gander has really beat up a rooster before.

Geese can be aggressive especially with small children and strangers but yet need/crave attention. My 3 kids 7, 9, and 10 are all fine with the geese now. My youngest is leery of them but can work with them under supervision. My oldest, who is small for his age does just fine with them. My gander and his first mate Natasha, bonded with me so they like to follow me around the yard. If they hear me, they will come running from the pasture hoping I will let them out. After Natasha died from becoming egg bound, Boris needed a lot of attention. Last spring I bought 2 female goslings and I raised them the first few weeks and then he adopted them. Geese are great parents. Now that the girls are older he has taken them both as his mates.

Geese need grass. Grass is the staple of their diet.

3. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    Thank you for your reply! We'll have to build a new structure for the geese or maybe house them in our barn at night. I wouldn't want to crowd them. I've seen such varying numbers for housing them that I really have no idea what would work or not. Is 3-4 acres enough room for them to forage on? There's grass on about 1.5 acres (just guessing, it's hard for me to measure it in my head!). Should I expect that they'll want to swim in the stream?

4. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    T
    hat should be enough grazing space. They will want to swim . Mine don't use the pond. They prefer to use the kid pools.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by