Space Requirments for 2 muscovy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by H04, Aug 14, 2010.

1. H04

H04 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Hello we are in the process of rebuilding the treehouse and will house two muscovys under it enclosed with wire/door etc... The enclosure would only be for night time and when we are not around all day long as I would worry about hawks ( or are they big enough to fend them off?)

2. H04

H04 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    anyone anyone?

3. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    I've never seen the hawk that was brave enough to take on my full grown muscovy. I think my big boy might take down the hawk.[​IMG] Females, MAYYYYBE, but the hawk would most likely look for something smaller. Babies though could be snatched up quick. All my ducks free range for at least 12 hours a day and while they do eye the hawks, I have never lost one to a hawk.

Space for 2, only at at night, wouldn't have to be too big. When we only had a few, we had a small covered pen area with an igloo dog house in it ( that they spent most of their night time ON TOP of) and they did just fine.

4. H04

H04 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Thanks for the response [​IMG] Ok so I am thinking the only possible danger for them during the day without me here would be possibly a stray cat correct? I am planning on having two females [​IMG]

My husband is thinking he can enclose under the treehouse with the wire hardware mesh and put a door . About 3X 5 ft but with the little lean to added should be about 20sq ft. If they had to be enclosed say if we were out of town for 1 day would that be ok?

5. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Stray or wild animals can be a problem for any ducks. So there is always the chance with any free range ducks. But I tell ya... my muscoy are fighters. Strays maybe... I don't know, (my dogs have chased off any other wildlife around here for the most part), but my farm cats give them a WIDE birth. Nothing aorund here messes with the 'scovy girls or boys. [​IMG] Are there other birds that will be ranging with them? 2 is easier to mess with than many.

I think your pen is plenty big enough for what you want to do with it. Muscovy like plenty of room to stretch their wings etc. but I don't think a day or two here or there penned up in a small pen will hurt 'em. Just try not to keep 'em penned up too too long.

6. H04

H04 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Thanks [​IMG] Yeah we don't have to worry about stray dogs as we have a 6ft wooden fence all around I was just more curious of the two black stray cats and my neighbors cats that get out and spray ALL OVER!!! [​IMG]

Ok I feel better knowing that it will be enough space for when they are occassionally penned. Tropical storms, hurricanes and bad wind storms they will be brought in the garage anyway but other then that I would rather them be able to free range our small yard and keep up on the weeds, mosquitos, flies and just pure entertainment purposes because they just seem so cute lol . I think my two young boys are going to enjoy playing out back even more

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by