Space shot!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by A.T. Hagan, Sep 12, 2011.

1. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    As a part of our continuing program of exposing our kids to science in action we had intended to go down to the Kennedy Space Center over the Labor Day weekend, but our plans went awry so we had to postpone it until last Saturday. When I checked the KSC website last Friday to see what may have been going on down there I discovered the Grail Mission shot was going to be happening just as we would be arriving!

So we rousted the kids out of bed at o'dark thirty and headed south. According to the launch info it looked like it would lift off just as we crossed the St. Johns river (8:29a.m. Eastern) so at 8a.m. my wife brought up the NASA site on her phone so we could hear it live while we watched it clear the horizon to the east. Luck was with us though as the upper level winds weren not favorable just then so they postponed it until 9:08a.m. which gave us time to get across the St. Johns and Indian Rivers and to the Visitor's Complex itself. Paid the admission, cleared security, and right to the bleachers.

The kids were excited and staring intently.
    [​IMG]

My wife was primed and ready.
    [​IMG]

We were listening to the launch center live on the loudspeakers as they went through the endless checklists they have to go through to make sure the bird was going to lift safely then finally we went into the final countdown. 10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...

and ...1!

And there she went!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's an intesting shot showing the smoke trail below and above the cloud deck. Note the shadow the smoke is throwing on top of the cloud so that it looks like there are two of them.
    [​IMG]

There are much better photos than the ones I took at the official NASA Grail Mission site which you can find here: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/grail/main/index.html along with more complete info about what the mission will be doing.

So with their first on-site launch under their belts we got down to the real reason we were there.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

To boldly go where no one has gone before...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. Cpprpnny19

Cpprpnny19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Middleboro
    Awesome pics!

[​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Neat pics. I grew up in that area, miss it.

4. katiebell

katiebell Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    That's so cool. I would love to see a live launch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by