Space vs Chickens...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bzbrown, Jul 23, 2011.

1. bzbrown

bzbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

The husband and I have been racking our brains over this for days. We have a coop that is 2 feet wide, 4 feet long and 4 feet tall. This coop is in an enclosed run/pen that is 6 feet wide, 8 feet long, and 5 feet tall. We have 5 chicks. Three are Silkies, two are turkins. No rooster/pullet ratio available as of yet, but if I were guessing we have 2 roo's.

Does this space work? The coop being enclosed in the run is left open all day until the chicks huddle up in it at night, at which time the door is closed and the ramp is put up. There is fresh water in and out of the coop, man made and pumpkin leaf shade over 75% of the run. There is a fan in the coop, plus screened windows.

We have no idea how we would expand, other than adding a nesting box on top of the one that's already in there. At this point it'd be best to downsize the flock if this space is not going to work.

Any thoughts?

ETA: ( A picture to give a better idea of what is happening)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. DuckMan50

DuckMan50 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Sounds Good.. just make sure the coop has plenty ventilation since it has been in the 100's

3. bzbrown

bzbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

I leave the fan on in there 24/7. There is about 1.5 inch between the coop ceiling and wall, a screened in window, and the door is also wired, but the ramp closes over it, so that cuts a bit into the air, but I think with the fan they are ok. I just worry if it's too small for 5.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by