space

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dominiker, Aug 22, 2010.

1. dominiker

dominiker Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    How many more chickensor bantams can i fit in my coop and run,i have 92 square feet in my run and 48 square feet in the coop and i have 13 chickens no bantams.

2. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Well I would say it's full at the Inn unless you let them out to free range...3 square feet in the coop and 10 square feet in the run per bird....If you want banties I would build them their own house

3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    recommended sq ft in a coop for each standard breed chicken is 4.. so 48 divided by 4= 12 chickens
    recommended sq ft in a run for each standard breed chicken is 10.. so 92 divided by 10= 9.2chickens

4. JustDawn

JustDawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2009
    Alpharetta Ga
    ... A Final Frontier....

UGH... sorry... I couldn't help myself.

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I've always read 2-3 sq ft for inside coop. Most chickens will not be on ground level for long even in winter (unless you add new pine shavings and DE) To me it is the amount of roosting space you have. I have read 9 inches per a bird on a roost. In colder winters the birds prefer to be closer. I have a coop that is 8 x 8 an have about 30 birds at the present there is no fighting pecking or any of that. I know alot of you will think this is too crowded but it really isn't that bad.

6. dominiker

dominiker Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    how much room does a bantam need

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Actually it's THE final frontier [these are the voyages of the star ship Enterprise.....]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by