spaddle legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by broschicks, Nov 20, 2010.

1. broschicks

broschicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2010
    we have a chicken that is a month old and his legs are spaddled ! Can it be fixed ?

2. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Spradle leg is usually when they first hach and their legs go out from side to side and they sort of do the splits - could be one leg or both - can be "fixed" by tying a rubber band/string from one leg to the other so they can hold their legs under their body until they get the hang of it - usually just a few days. At one month old, I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. How does the chick get around? Is it one leg or both and what exactly happens when it tries to walk. If it is doing the splits thing, you could try tying the legs closer together. Or, it could have a deformed leg or an injury that didn't heal properly. Hard to tell from your first post. Please give a little more info and we might can help.

3. broschicks

broschicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2010
    it was like that when it was first born ! we did the bandaid it helped but now she is back like that ! Yes she does the split she kinda drags herself to where she want s to go !

lets see if the picture works !! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  4. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Yep, that's spraddle leg. I like to use a rubber band (instead of band aids) because it has some stretch to it and they can still walk. I use a very thin one and cut it so it's a "string" -when they are day olds. I guess you could use a thicker/heavier one and try tying the legs close together now. Or you may could use some string. Leave enough space that the bird can still walk and keep its legs under its body. You might want to add some vitamins to its water also because it may have a vitamin deficiency.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by