Spaghetti Squash.....should I cook it first?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Astrid, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Astrid

Astrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hi there,
    Saw a mention of giving spaghetti squash as a treat. Should I cook it first, or peel it and hang it and watch them peck?

Thanks,
    Astrid

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    cook it. too bad you then gotta let it cool......but it'll be better.

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Nope, they love it fresh. If I had to cook anything for my chickens they'd starve. Just ask DH

4. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    [​IMG] i think it's better for people cooked. the chickens like raw stuff. sometimes they like peel, sometimes not. it wont' hurt them though. if they aren't used to stuff like that, maybe break it in half so they can see the seeds. anything with seeds they love.

5. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:I think i need you to talk to my chickens as it seems i may have spoiled them from the get-go [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Lone Cowboy is the name of our company. He used to be lone, then he got married. He needed free labor.

7. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    You gotta admit that cooking squash in the microwave is one of the easiest possible things to do.

Steve

8. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:LOL.......I kid around too much [​IMG] .......glad the cowboys is not lonely anymore [​IMG]

9. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I don't believe anything we feed our chickens should be cooked. After all they don't have kitchens in the wild do they? [​IMG]

Seriously they have to get the bulk their vitamins from the raw foods they eat when you cook their food some vitamins are lost.

Besides aren't they spoiled enough? [​IMG]

10. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Well neither did WE always have all the modern conveniences but look how spoiled WE are [​IMG]
    I am pretty sure the cavemen did not have microwaves, but we sure like our food warmed up. Chickens dont have hands to hold the food, so i am sure if nothing else it is easier to eat cooked. Im pretty sure if we prefer it cooked, they will too. I think people are spoiled enough.....not chickens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by