Spalding egg with triplets in it! And oddly colored spalding chick?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by coloradopeafowl, Jun 29, 2010.

1. coloradopeafowl

coloradopeafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Lakewood, CO
    Ok so 32 days ago i walked in to my spalding cage to check for any eggs and to my surprise i found an egg that was twice the size of an average peacock egg. I put it in the incubator then waited a week.... Then i candled it. THREE little beating hearts where developing in it!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I was beside myself realizing my peacock layed an egg with three chicks in. I had two yolked eggs in chicken eggs but never in a peacock egg. So i waited until hatch day and all the others that where with it hatched..... So i waited until the 30th day to carefully open it. When i did i found two dead chicks and one that was barely formed. They obviously didn't have enough space to hatch their way out on their own. Then out of the three spaldings i did hatch that day from her, one is questionably lighter than the others... To me he looks just to light to be a normal spalding, looks just a bit darker than an opal chick. His dad is emerald spalding split blackshoulder, and the mom could be spalding or the spalding split bonze, or a spalding pied, i think though his mom is the spalding pied due to one white flight showing that hes split pied. But the chicks out of that matchup should only be spalding color with splits. But for some reason this one is lighter than the others and while the other two have dark legs and beaks he has lighter tan/pinkish legs and beak??? Has anyone else had a peahen have an egg with more than one chick in it??? And any thoughts on the chick? Here is a picture of the egg with triplets next to an average peacock egg.
    [​IMG]

Heres Pictures of the light colored spalding chick.

[​IMG]

Notice the leg and beak color difference

[​IMG]

The one on the left is the oddly colored one, the one on the right is the normally colored one

[​IMG][​IMG]

Notice the white flight, split spalding pied. So i'm positive the father is emerald spalding split black shoulder and the mother is spalding pied
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes one in the hatcher ..didn't hatch day 30 a double.

3. coloradopeafowl

Jun 28, 2010
    Lakewood, CO
    Wow, never new they could be even that common, also i updated the thread on it. Do you have any thoughts on the new part.[​IMG]

4. coloradopeafowl

Jun 28, 2010
    Lakewood, CO
    Wow, never knew they could be even that common, updated the thread on it. Do you have any thoughts on the coloring of the chick? [​IMG]

5. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    The lighter color chick , looks like a blue . Thing about spalding in the same hatch some take after blue side other the green side.

Split pied also look like a male.

6. coloradopeafowl

Jun 28, 2010
    Lakewood, CO
    Ok did your double egg hatch?[​IMG]

7. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:No , and not that common, i get a few hundred eggs first double this year.

8. coloradopeafowl

Jun 28, 2010
    Lakewood, CO
    O alright have you ever had one hatch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by