1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spalding genetic

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Dany12, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    Spalding genetic .... how does it work ?
    Pavo Muticus female X Pavo Cristatus Cameo male ( sex-linked color ) What happens ?

2. Arbor

Arbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    All offspring are considered spalding with the breeding of the two birds you listed. Males will be spalding split to cameo, whereas females will be cameo spalding. All birds will be 50% green genetics, but the degree to which it is visible will vary between offspring.

3. Dany12

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    Yes there are alot of individual differences between spalding blue / green in the same generation.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

But with Spalding Cameo F1 too?

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Are all birds with any amount of green blood in them considered Spalding's?

5. Arbor

Arbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    Yes, as they are neither green nor blue. Though that said, many (myself included) believe that the majority of all peafowl in captivity have some mixed genetic history. The degree (or %) of each colour will determine the birds phenotype (what it looks like). A bird that is higher % green (some people will refer to them as 7/8 or 31/32 or 63/64) will show more green characteristics. A bird with higher blue % will show more blue characteristics.

6. Dany12

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    For me, a spalding peacock must have .... long legs, small head and especially what type of feathers in the neck.
    A green spalding 6/7 it 's a bit stupid .... because it 's a false green!

Here .... the Spalding ' attitude' !

[​IMG]

7. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Pretty birds Dany! What I have noticed and do like on some spaldings is when they retain the fishscale pattern on all the neck that comes from the green side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by