Spam private messages?

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by cutechick2010, Dec 8, 2012.

1. cutechick2010

cutechick2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have gotten this message three times now, it is a question about methods for butchering chickens and asking for my opinion on how to do it. The first time I thought it was genuine and answered it but no on ever replied. I have now gotten the exact same message twice more, same wording and (poor) punctuation. Is there a way to block this person so they can't keep sending this message to me? Thanks.

2. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    If you click on their user name at the bottom it says "Block Member."

3. cutechick2010

OK, thanks, will do that.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If you get a PM that is suspicious just hit the red flag in the bottom left corner and ask a moderator to have a look. They won't see all your PM's, just the one you reported.

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    The best way to report a PM is to forward it to a staff member. You can do this by hitting the reply and in the To: field, change it to a staff member's username. We will review it and if indeed it is spam, we will take care of it.

Due to privacy protection, we can't see any PMs reported.

On extremely rare and urgent instances the site owner can look at PMs, but generally nothing is urgent enough to do so.

Your best bet is to block the offender as Scott H said above.

6. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That is good to know, thank you Terrie. I got a spam PM recently and I reported it, thinking that you'll see it like the other things we report? But I will go forward it to one of you guys.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  7. cutechick2010

I have blocked the sender, so hopefully that will take care of the problem. If I get any more I will flag them, thanks for the suggestions. :)

8. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Forward it rather [​IMG]

9. Anna-MN

Anna-MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    I have gotten the same message before and so have a few of my friends. Whoever or whatever is doing it just keeps making new accounts and resending it. The first time I also thought it was a genuine question. I have reported them every time. Unlike you though, I got a rather creepy reply from the person asking me my age and telling me I was attractive. Same poor grammar and punctuation though!

10. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

We're pretty good at banning these accounts and the people often give up... we just need to be forwarded the example PM's so we can look into them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by