Spangled Russian Orloff Chicks, 6 - 8 weeks old, NO SHIPPING

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by mississippifarmboy, Aug 20, 2011.

1. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You are bidding on one Spangled Russian Orloff chick, around 6 to 8 weeks old. We have around 30 - 60 on the ground right now and the bidder can take from one up to however many we can catch at the winning bid price each.

These are all totally free-range, were raised in an outdoor brooder until around 4 weeks old then turned loose on the farm to go where they please. These are NOT being sold as show or breeder quality, they are an expermental cross I made between strains this year. I'll include both pictures of the parents and birds from the same cross that are around 6 months old so you can get an idea of what to expect from them. So far I am very pleased, but already have enough pulled out for next years breeders as I've been hatching since January.

I am working to improve the breed, and have hatched out over 500 Orloffs this year alone. I've pulled out around 30 of my very best for next year's projects and just don't really need to save anymore this year (Although you can bet if these don't sell and one catches my eye as they get older I sure will!) and with winter coming soon thought I'd give everyone a chance to own a few of these very pretty birds at a discount price (Which is a nice way of saying that I won't have to feed them all winter). Some will have incorrect white legs and incorrect eye color, some will molt out having too little or too much white, most will lay eggs that are too light in color. They are very much project birds.

A note on Orloffs in general; Orloffs are one of those breeds that are tough to sex as chicks and the only breed we raise that will turn out a totaly different color after the first full moult. Our strains all will be much darker than the chicks, so chick color is not indicitive of adult coloration. Our strains are very good layers, this past year we averaged 5 eggs per hen per week.

There will be NO SHIPPING on these, pick up here at the farm in Glen, Mississippi 38846 only. (For mapquest users) We are in the very Northeast corner of the state near the Tennessee/Alabama state lines.

We are NOT NPIP, none of our birds are vaccinated nor do we medicate our birds unless we see a reason to. All our flocks are healthy, but bred to perform and are not pets nor do we baby them. They are fed commercial chick starter free choice, a small handful of scratch grain every morning and evening, lots of garden and kitchen scraps and all the bugs they can catch.

We also have a few older birds, if interested, let me know and I'll list them on a seperate auction.

Here are the parent stock of these chicks;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are a few of the same cross at about 5 to 6 months old;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  2. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Anyone who wants some of these chicks, I'm going to be going through there on my way home September 26th. I can deliever them anywhere on that route from Glen to the Western North Carolina area, so don't let distance stop you from getting some of these gorgeous birds. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Quote:Thanks Em! That's sweet.

I've sold a few localy this week, so only have about 25 this age left.

Still have around 20 or so 8 to 16 weeks old I can list in a seperate auction if anyone is interested too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by