SPANISH MOSS????

PIO-PIO

Songster
11 Years
Mar 27, 2009
POINCIANA, FL
Hi,
I am new to the chicken thing and so far loving it all. My 4 girls are 13 weeks now.

I read on here someone putting spanish moss in the nesting box....

Has anyone else done this? I just got DE and can add that to take care of "critters" hiding in it.

The moss is plentiful by my house so that would be great when the time comes for the girls to nest but I dont want to introduce something harmful....

any feedback would be great!
thanks

How are you going to avoid getting bitten yourself by the mites and chiggers (redbugs) that live in it? I don't know whether DE works on chiggers; some creatures' bodies are too hard for it to work. And I don't know whether chiggers will bite chickens, though don't see why not.

Yeah, maybe people have done this and it's worked fine (in which case go ahead and try it, of course)... but just from the face of the thing it doesn't sound likely to work well. All it takes is for 5% of the critters in the spanish moss to survive whatever you dust/spray it with, and you will have some really miserable chickens.

Good luck,

Pat

Henry Ford used to stuff his car upholstery with Spanish Moss. I guess it's how you prepare it.

The story goes that Henry Ford struck a deal with certain people in the Louisiana Bayous to buy Spanish Moss to stuff the upholstery. The Spanish Moss was shipped in Cypress boxes. Several of his cars had beautiful cypress wood trim. Don't know how true this is, but to me it's credible.

CMom has it on her home page thay she uses Spanish Moss in her nest boxes.

Back
Top Bottom