Spare tire

reksat

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
western,MD
Has anybody ever used an old tire and fill it up with sand for a dust bath station in their run? I am purchasing new tires and thought i might give this a try and see how it works. Think it will ?

I took some old NASCAR Tires I had and cut them in half filled with play sand and my chicks love em. My run is 40 x 30 so filling the whole run with sand was out of the question.

I use an old tractor tire filled with creek sand and wood ashes for the chicken dust bath area in their run.

I like this idea a lot. It's cool to find new uses for things. Used tires practically grow on trees, unfortunately. I would think the chickens would like jumping up on it too. I'm gonna do it! Thanks for the idea!

I also use my old truck tires by cutting out one sidewall, place that side down and fill with compost. Then I make a cage/trellis to grow tomatoes and squash in my chicken run for chicken shade and food:

36435_chickenfood.jpg

Darkmatter - that is really cool
cool.png

Reksat - I don't see why not, especially larger sized tires. I keep eyeing a smallish old tire under our lean-to that looks like it'd make a perfect nestbox if filled with hay
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom