Sparrows in the chicken coop. Is this a problem?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ldutch123, Nov 24, 2011.

1. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    It is getting colder out and I noticed every time I go into the coop there are a ton of sparrows flying around in there. I assume they a eating the chicken feed but I don't know if this is a problem or if it is bothersome to the chickens? Can these birds cause larger problems like disease or anything. I'm new to chickens and I get a little worried about all the small things. I would rather prepare and prevent than treat and possibly lose some of my chickens.

2. S.L.Swope

S.L.Swope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    San Antonio
    Not %100 sure but I believe disease would definitely be something to worry about. Is the coop run area covered? Maybe put bird netting over area to keep them out.

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Yes the poo and the bugs on them are deposited in the coop.Try putting some bird netting up .I have a tarp over the door,and leave the bottom open. I also ran deer netting over the top.Consider getting a repeating sprarrow trap.It is about $50 from a guy in Texas.Or make your own. It works good.Check often though for native birds, chipmunks,and mice.

4. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    Oh no. I was worried about this. What do u do to the chickens entry door? They come in through there and through some small openings in the coop. We r gonna have to do some serious work to keep these little brats out

5. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    We had this same problem in the summer with sparrows going in and out of the pop door. Also, they would go to the area where I would put out a mash and either step in the feed and eat the mash, or perch on the edge of the feeder and eat. The chickens didn't seem to mind at all. The sparrows can carry lice or mites and may have some diseases which all wild bird carry. That being said, if your birds free range at all, they will be in contact with wild birds, so that can't be helped. To keep them out of the pop door, I had an old flannel-backed vinyl tablecloth. We cut some strips and stapled them securely to the bottom of the pop door so they hang down when the door is open. The chickens can go in and out, but we haven't had any sparrows in the coop since. [​IMG]

6. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Seems like a small problem after reading about the guy with the HAWK in his coop! [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's the little things that you cant see that would worry me the most. [​IMG]

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    To be honest, I had this problem too, and worried about parasites and disease. Not only that, but my chickens are little monsters, and started to EAT the sparrows (not that it stopped the stupid little buggers). I'd find a stripped sparrow skeleton about once a month near the coop.

I switched from crumbles to pellet feed, and the sparrow problem really died down.

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    My birds roost in the rafters along with sparrows, pigeons... you name it. Its never gotten any of them sick.

10. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    Diseases and food eating would be your main problems. It may also stress out or scare your chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by