1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sparrows & Wrens are eating us out of house and coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BubbaLikesIt, Dec 18, 2014.

1. BubbaLikesIt

BubbaLikesIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    I let the chickens out in the morning and leave the door open to the coop so they can go in and lay eggs, eat chicken feed and get water. I now have at least 1000 sparrows and wrens eating chicken feed so fast it's unbelievable. They eat more than 50 chickens would eat in a day. This is a plague. I know everybody has got to eat but this is now ridiculous. [​IMG]

I was thinking of putting a small door on the side of the run that I can open and close and hang "hippie beads" in the opening. Will that hamper the chickens? Will it keep the little birds out? I don't know but before I commit to this idea I wanted to hear about any other ideas that have been tried and tested.

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Treadle feeder will solve that.

3. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I am having the same problem.They fowl the chicken feeder and water.with their droppings.I have two layers of wire on my run.welded and poultry wire.they fly though a 1" opening like its not even their.This summer I put up 1/4 netting on the run.that helped some.but they are stilling coming in.Half of my run is roofed so my girls can have a dry area during wet weather.now they are roosting there.I have been dumping a lot of their feed due to bird droppings.I'm at loss as what to do.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Post #2 is the answer to your question.

5. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Another solution is to keep your feed inside the coop with a pop door that has vinyl slats of fabric to allow chickens to walk through but discourage other birds similar to the beads you suggested.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Best DIY feeder I have encountered.
    Click on the link:

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Takes some training......putting up one strip every few days from outside edges of door or leaving center strip up.

From this thread:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by