sparrows

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by heatherindeskies, Jan 2, 2011.

1. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    I have a large pole shed... used to house many sparrows. Now that i have 2 cats locked in there, there are only a few sparrows left and I hardly see or hear them. Is this because of the cats for certain, or do I have an owl lurking? no chickens have been harmed, and I have bantams. any thoughts? thank you!

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I am guessing it is the cats. [​IMG]

3. eggboy

eggboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    CA
    I would be very surprised if it was not the cats. Its perfectly logical the sparrows live there the cats come kill a few and the sparrows leave.

4. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Can't be certain in this situation, of course, but birds will vacate most areas that have cats on patrol...even if a single bird has not been taken by them. Did you want the sparrows there?

5. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Sounds like cats to me. Give them some treats for reward. Sparrows can really eat up ur feed.

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I have a large pole shed... used to house many sparrows. Now that i have 2 cats locked in there, there are only a few sparrows left and I hardly see or hear them

It's Winter....Maybe they flew South​

7. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    My vote is cats. We had a sparrow invasion last week. Got into the coop and cleaned out the feed. Had to put up some bird netting in the small gaps they were coming through. Pesky little things.

8. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Quote:no, I'm glad they are gone. they eat too much food and crap on everything.....

9. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Quote:no, I'm glad they are gone. they eat too much food and crap on everything.....

No less the parasites and diseases they can transmit. I do love wild birds of all sorts but not near livestock quarters or feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by