Spasming ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by felicity5, Oct 14, 2012.

1. felicity5

felicity5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2012
    my 4 week old ducklings were sort of spasming and it was generally after they ate so I called the vet and she suggested that I wasnt feeding them right and that I needed to give them more dense food. I generally feed them chopped up mixed lettuces, carrots, tomatos, eggs, noodles, chicken feed, cucmber, zuccini so can someone please tell me where I'm going wrong?
    Also suggested to make sure they are extra warm.
    i live in Australia and we're going into summer so im just keeping them outside in a cage but I have an upsidown box in it too thats filled with straw and the pet shop lady said that would okay so any suggesions would be helpful!

2. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Sound like the food your giving is fairly nutritious but not high enough in protein. I would suggest seeing what kind of feed is available in your area that is for chickens or ducks. Also you might want to considering giving them niacin in their water too. Ducklings need more niacin then chicks.

Just guessing here from what you said. Perhaps someone else can chime in here.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Let's back up a little for some more details.

How warm is it now? At four weeks, they should be kept somewhere in the 20 to 24 degrees C range. Warmer than that or cooler than that may cause trouble. Is the housing in the shade or no?

What ratios are you feeding the fresh and the boughten feed? Sounds very very light on the niacin. Ducklings need three times the niacin chicks do and while your foods sound pretty good overall, none contain niacin. Get some plain niacin capsules, not no-flush or time release, and put 100 to 150 mg in per four liters of water.

To provide some natural niacin, bugs and worms (animal protein) contain it. Also, unsalted sardines in water, or feeder fish from a safe reputable source would help. Makes the poop smell stronger, but could really help.

(added: Please pardon my lack of social skills. Welcome! [​IMG])

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  4. felicity5

felicity5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2012
    It's still spring so not that warm, it's 20 degrees during the day
    The housing is in the shade and I feed them about 3/4 fresh and 1/4 bought. I also let them roam around the backyward and they dig in the ground and eat weeds

THank you for the information on Niacin, I will go to the pet store today and buy some worms to put in their food

Let's back up a little for some more details.

How warm is it now? At four weeks, they should be kept somewhere in the 20 to 24 degrees C range. Warmer than that or cooler than that may cause trouble. Is the housing in the shade or no?

What ratios are you feeding the fresh and the boughten feed? Sounds very very light on the niacin. Ducklings need three times the niacin chicks do and while your foods sound pretty good overall, none contain niacin. Get some plain niacin capsules, not no-flush or time release, and put 100 to 150 mg in per four liters of water.

To provide some natural niacin, bugs and worms (animal protein) contain it. Also, unsalted sardines in water, or feeder fish from a safe reputable source would help. Makes the poop smell stronger, but could really help.

(added: Please pardon my lack of social skills. Welcome

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    So what about nighttime temperatures? Do you have a thermometer in with them so you know it is warm enough and cool enough?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by