1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

spastic chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gabrielle1976, Apr 12, 2009.

1. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    So I had a little banty egg hatch there were three and he is the only one who hatched , he hatched almost 3 days late. He didnt try to walk or do anything for the first 24 hours then this morning he was up trying to walk. Well as of about 20 minutets ago he was doing better but he staggers around wierd. It dosnt seem to be becuase of anything physical with his legs or feet , though he had curled toes yesterday they seem fine today. Yesterday he was allso streatch his head back so often and so far he would flip over on to his back , He isnt doing this today but with the jerky way he moves Im wondering did he get his little brain wave patterns scrambled at some point. He seems to be progressing , slower much slower then any chick I have had so far but progressing just the same . Any thoughts ?

2. chickenman33

chickenman33 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    Logansport IN
    he may be under developed and cant quite control his movements or balance. [​IMG]

3. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    He hasn't been twisting his head around for no apparent reason, has he?

Hopefully it was just some bad genetics that landed him some poor coordination skills, and not a disease.

4. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Well yesterday he would lift his head up so far it would flip him over and today he isnt doing that , he does some times act like he is trying to groom himself but then falls over , thats a head movement , I just assumed that he was really trying to groom himself and didnt have the cordenation to do so. [​IMG]

5. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Well he seems fairly normal today , very loud sometimes and pecking at food and I saw him take a drink he still stumbles once in awhile but seems pretty good all and all . [​IMG]

6. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    I'm glad he's doing better [​IMG] Some chicks go through 'drunk' phases like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by