Speackledhen - what do you think of these babies * PICS *

Crazy4Chicks

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
Glendale, AZ
OK Cyn - here are my two BR babies -- so what do you think boys or girls ?

baby 1 -

S6300371.jpg

I dont know what was so important behind me LOL

S6300372.jpg

Baby 2 -

S6300368.jpg

S6300369.jpg

I hoping for one roo and one pullet !

Julie

You're going to kill me, Julie, but I have stared and stared at those two and I can't decide. Neither one has an especially boy-like headspot or silvery color (at least that I can tell in the photos), however, both have legs that appear more cockerel-like with almost no black on the fronts. Except for the legs, I'd almost say two pullets, but if I was going on legs alone, I'd say two cockerels.
See? Sometimes they give confusing signals. That's why I thought my slow-maturing Zane was a Zoe for weeks. Usually, it's easier than this. When the feathers on the wings come in, that will be the time to take another look. You could very well have one of each and I hope you do!

Last edited:
I am glad that even the experts like you Cyn - get confused LOL I have been looking at all the BR pics I can find and these two have me totally stumped - of course these are my very first BR's so I have nothing to compare them to. they dont act very rooish - like charging my hand are challengeing each other or the others - so I guess like with everything else that goes along with raising chicks/ducks it is a wait and see game LOL

thank you both for your expert advice on my two very confusing BR babies - I will post pics in about 1-2 weeks and see how these little ones are feathering out.

hmm maybe we make it a contest and see who is right

Julie

yeah i think the legs are the best indicator in sexing barred rocks, of course i've only just started doing it! LOL. i noticed that my BR legs got darker with age though, so the ones i was skeptical about being girls i'm pretty sure are now.

both of those chicks seem to have a very upright cockeral-like stature as well though. granted that could just be the 'why is this person flashing that shiny thing at me again" look.

i'll keep my fingers crossed for one of each.

My girls got their tails sooner (by days) than the boy. So if one grows a tail at 4-5 days old and the other doesn't for a few more days, maybe that will be a clue? Mine are 7 days today and the boy hardly has a tail still.
Mine were easy though since the boy came with a purple dot on his head!
tongue.png

My girls do all have black on their legs.

well I guess I will have to play that - are a roo or pullet game for a few more days !!

I got these two on Friday from the TS neither has a tail started yet - so I will give it a few more days.

I wish mine came color coded - would make life easier for us newbies !!

Julie

Back
Top Bottom