1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Speak crow? My chickens do.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by balticbabe, Jun 11, 2008.

1. balticbabe

balticbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    King County, WA
    The last couple of days there have been a group of crows in the neighbor’s trees. The crows fight and squawk constantly. Every once in awhile they make a squawk that sends all the chickens running under the coop. It’s rather funny. There isn’t any danger that I can see. I think the crows are sounding the alarm just to watch my girls run for cover. Crows harass bald eagles so they not afraid of much, think they just want scare my girls for the entertainment value.

Just thought I’d share my chickens' stresses.

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    They'll eat your eggs.....

I have a raven here that has been stealing my duck eggs while I sleep in the morning. I guess I will have to get up at the break of dawn tomorrow so we can discuss boundaries.[​IMG]

I think I also heard they will get your chickens too.

3. balticbabe

balticbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    King County, WA
    I just assumed the crows were squawking "cougar" or "hawk" not "eat chickens". No wonder the girls are spooked. Good thing they are safe in their raccoon resistant run.

4. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    There has been a cat prowling around my neighbors yards, and with 7wk old chicks I am concerned. The crows seem to chase the cat whenever they see it, they have also chased a few hawks away, so those crows can stick around my yard, until they harm one of my chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by