Speak Up Against Goose Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessi

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 19, 2009
A friend just sent me this email about 75 geese, some of whom were pets, who were heartlessly rounded up, packed into a blazing hot truck, driven a long distance, then exterminated. The group that did this totally ignored suggestions for alternatives they were given, even the pleas of the woman who came begging for the release of her named and affectionate geese.

We need to write to these people and tell them what we think of their inhumane and heartless behavior. They would never have done this to dogs or cats, but because it's a bird, they think that excuses it. Geese have been exploited by humans long enough, and it's time we goose lovers joined together to create a voice defending them. Who knows better than we what little "people" they are?

Please do what you can to spread the word about this atrocity. Unfortunately, such acts are becoming far too common in communities. This will only stop when the public insists on its stopping.

Here is the email, with the incident explained and addresses of the the three responsible parties:

In a message dated 7/10/2009 1:41:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:

Hi everyone, I need a bit of support....

The 3 people listed below were responsible for over 75 Canada geese being rounded up, packed in hot trucks and taken to slaughter from the Park at Rivers Edge last Thursday. Twenty of them being MY geese I rehabbed with injuries etc...and many were domesticated. One sweet lady named Debbie Dangerfield made it there in time to get on one of the trucks and refuse to get down until they released our geese. They gave her only PollyAnna, a goose raised from a wee baby who loved her. The rest were slaughtered. Debbie's email address is [email protected] cell is 514-1432, she has all the other details of how the events took place. She's so devastated after looking out for all of the geese. She now has one lone goose over there who cannot understand where the rest have gone. Geese mate for life. Babies were taken with the rest, many separated from their parents and hauled in hot trucks to Columbia where the USDA killed them all. They'd gave Debbie only one to get her to go away. Many of the rehabbed geese were named and came when called. They were not ever caged.

I had supplied them with a list of Canada geese rescue groups, Canada geese rehabbers and also Dorchester Vet Clinic's number to contact Roxi for advice. They claimed they were destroying the grasses etc.... Carolina Waterfowl in Charlotte, NC was also willing to help move them. NONE of these agencies were called nor was I notified that the geese were going to be killed.

If any of you have the time, please email these people and let them know how upsetting it is to see how heartless they were. This situation did not have to end this way. They claim they tried everything....well we're learning now they covered up a lot of what was done. They contacted no one I sent them to help. Catherine Ellis met the removal service at the front gates at 6:45 to sneak in the people who were to round up the geese before the guard came on duty because he loved them as well. I've never been so sick over knowing how these geese must have been treated and trucked such a long way in the heat. Then only to be slaughtered. I've contacted the USDA and they talk in circles but I expected no less. I think they attend special classes to learn how NOT to answer a direct question.

I'm swamped with wildlife right now so if anyone has any ideas of preventing this from happening or can forward this to others who can make a difference please do and/or contact Debbie. The public deserves to know what can happen to our wildlife as well as how heartless some people can be. Thanks everyone!!!

Andrew Reid is President of Park Rec which is the whole community,[email protected]

Hilda Davenport is president of Traces & Reflections which is the condos, [email protected]

Catherine Ellis is the property Manager with Spectrum Properties, [email protected]

I'm assuming that they were killed because they were on the condo property doing what geese do... poo and eat greens.
I would like to help you, but need more info about whom you would like this reported to, and what you are seeking in reference to the 3 responsible (charges via animal rights, loss of jobs, etc?)
Let us know.

if they were canada geese they could get a lot of jail time. it is illguly to even own them with out a permit .... let kill them thats not right it is just not right.
somad.gif
contact the police. (rcmp for me because i live in canada)

Last edited:
How horrible! Especially since they were given sources that would help them out with the geese!
somad.gif
rant.gif
. I can't believe it, because they were eating up the grass? Come on now folks, this is rediculous! Sounds like to me, someone thought they were just a nuisance is all, like so many other critters. Sure do hope you win this fight. After all, they were in the wrong in the first place, sneaking in like that, and then to treat them inhumanely? Unbelievable!

They may have been state employees working under a state permit granted by the feds. Even some of the pest control companies have Fed permits to RELOCATE Canada geese when they reach pest population numbers. In NC about 4 years ago the Canadas reached pest levels on the grounds around the Statehouse and Mansion. they snuck in very early before people were out and about and rounded up all the goslings and flight less adults (they molt while they are rasing goslings) They were to be relocated to the cooling lake of a nuck power plant.(that wanted geese on their pond to show how safe and Green they were) If they had done it fast it might have worked but they stalled aroung until the last goose was caught. The adults were loaded onto closed trucks. For fear that the goslings would have been injured they were transported in vans. When they got to the power plant the adults were all dead from overcrowding and the heat (one of our 100 degree days). At least they had enough concern for the goslings that they didn't Just turn them out on the lake to let then fend for themselves. they completely overloaded the waterfowl rescule groups who contacted ever waterfowl raiser in the region. Thats how I found out about the mess that naturally never made the news. Last years state budget had three "groundskeepers' whose only job was to addle Canada goose eggs in the Capital area (what they did in the off season? shovel snow?) I wonder if these jobs will be cut due to th budget proplems this year.

Ridiculous.
You can't easily own them unless they are bred in captivity, but killing completely wild geese is just a few dollars away. Completely illogical.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well the hunters have invested the money to keep habitats for wild waterfowl. Controlled killing by hunters is the best way to regulate their numbers. Too many geese? increase the bag limit. Starting to run short of geese? decrease the limit, shorten the season or don't have a season. Seems pretty logical to me! They aren't pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom