tigger19687

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 27, 2017
Metrowest- Massachusetts
My Coop
My Coop
https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/zip/d/organic-pea-shoot-roots/6394671742.html

They sell sprouts and have the "base" left over and throw out. If I go to pick some up would this be good or is the good part already taken and the "rest" not worth it? It is the Shaft and roots that are left, along with part of the seed still attached if you can't see the pictures.

In the ad they say they want someone to replace the dumpster, I am not doing that. But I may see if they will let me go and take a bunch out of the dumpster.
It is over an hr to get there so I wanted to know if it was worth it or not.

Thanks in advance :)

Yes, that would be a wonderful addition to your feed routine, in small quantities. However, I would not consider driving 2 hours for a week's worth of sprouts when I can easily grow my own without even leaving my house. All you need is animal or human food grade seeds a couple of mason jars, and some screening for the top of them, and you will be set up to provide an endless supply of sprouts to last you all winter. It takes 3 - 5 days to grow a jar of sprouts. I keep a minimum of 3 going in my kitchen so I have a fresh jar to feed out every day. May increase my production this year b/c flock is bigger.

I also grow them for myself during the winter.

I have a small area near the kitchen but I am not sure I have enough room to grow much, and keep the darn cats out !
But good to know that if I am out that way and they are closed I could steal some and it is good for the hens. ;)

I was worried that the bottom part was not as good as the top

Grass makes the cats vomit, not ;sick, just vomit. That is what they do to induce Vomiting when they need to. Mine are indoor ONLY. I can't have any plants :(

Sprouts, if very short would be fine, but it will never make it to the Hens if I can't keep the cats out of it :)

I bought Rye and Mullet today to see how it goes. 1# each as the only way to get Wheat was by the 50# bag. So i will wait on that till I a) fond a place to put it b) make sure I can sprout anything ;)

Back
Top Bottom