Speaking of morons: And the Fates were kind...

PeiTheCelt

Songster
12 Years
Sep 3, 2007
Central NY
Since Mayberry keeps coming up with morons, I'll add another to the list.

Me.

Apparently I am too stupid for raising chickens. I wanted to let Shiva (the new Brahma that we rescued) out to explore a little bit.

Yeah.

I'm sure that you can all see where this is going.

I'm really starting to get scared that I am going to completely and totally screw this whole process up and that Shiva is going to end up dead (and I'll screw up with the chicks) because I couldn't keep him safe for a day and was dumb enough to think I could catch a bird to re-run him after he'd spent his entire life in a 2x2 box and now had a chance to roam.

I thought about posting this in emergencies, but there isn't much advice that could be given (other than be patient hopefully he'll come back to his coop for sleeping tonight) and I wasn't sure if it should go here or the "Everything Else Chickens" board. So I stuck it here.

*sigh* I keep looking out the window into the thicket (it's about an acre and a half of wild and overgrown heavily treed area that I can barely get through, never mind get through while chasing a determined rooster (and I'm a small woman with no problems with walking through spider webs or getting scratched up, but he's just faster than I am there)) where he ran off hoping he'll come back, but.. He's been here a day, somehow I suspect that he hasn't associated his little coop and run with "home" yet.

Insert a long list of expletives here. I was supposed to have been saving him. I don't think I'm really looking for advice, or even support so much as maybe... For lack of a better word confession, and you guys may not all be ministers but.. You are the chicken gurus in my universe.. *sigh*

All I know is that if he comes back he's not going to get a chance to take off again until he's got his flock (and if he does, I'm going to see if there are a couple of hens someone has that they need to get off their hands, even just as a loan, to create his flock and "tie" him home... But somehow I think it's too late for that.

And we have everything around here. Dogs that run reasonably loose, stray cats, coyotes foxes and possums. You name it, we have it.

he.gif
barnie.gif
th.gif
fl.gif
th.gif
barnie.gif
he.gif

*~*

Well, he's staying actually pretty close to the house, I can actually see him out of the front window now, he's out of the trees and on the lawn, so.. I figure either he'll head back to his coop at bedtime or if he roosts nearby and not up in a tree (he isn't a great flyer so that should be good) I will just go get his feathery butt, take him back to his coop and count this as a lesson learned. I will *not* however be chasing him. That lesson I've learned on my own (dumb, not THAT dumb..
wink.png
)

So maybe this will have a happy ending? (Unless I can't get him tonight and he ends up getting eaten by a coyote
roll.png
)

Last edited:
Crud...I really hope he comes back...
We all do stupid things and our babies can suffer...
I mean last year I went on a vacation with my DS and left Slifer with my DH. I was only gone for 3 days, but I wasn't able to save her from her infection and if I had been home, blah blah blah...
Doesn't do you any good...and make you feel like Splort.

You just have to hope that he'll come back when he gets hungry or that he can hear the other chickens. I'll say a prayer for Shiva that he comes home safely.
hugs.gif

I'm sorry.

Animals can do that when they are moved to a new home. Maybe he found someone else's hens to hang with?

It'll be easier when you have hatched your own. They will associate you with home and it will fill you with warmth and pride.

We all make mistakes. That's what makes us human.
hmm.png

fl.gif

The first day I let my flock out to free-range, they headed all directions and I was sure that I had a disaster on my hands...BUT, they ALL came back to the coop to go to sleep. I hope he finds his way home for you.

We all make mistakes.

You know what I did when I got my first chickens from MM...my first time ever having chickens? When they were about 10 or 12 weeks old (6 years ago so I don't remember to well) I thought I was going to keep the way out back in our 3 car garage...an open garage mind you (built out in the middle of a field no where near the house for some odd reason...we converted to a barn for horses later on) I thought they would go in the garage and sleep in the rafters and be just fine. I was ever more optimistic when I went out the next morning and they were all still there.

Well the 2 nd morning I went out and nothing....not a chicken or even a feather in site. 14 chickens gone (I had already lost 7 to pasty butt and 1 drowned in a bowl of water because I didn't think anything of using a dog's dish for water...
he.gif
) So out of 25 chicks I was left with 2 a Japanese hen and Japanese roo and only because I had brought them up by my house and they were living in my goat pen. I still have the hen to this day...the other disappeared without a trace at 2 years old.

I've also lost 6 barred rock hens and a gorgeous Australorp roo X because I forgot the shut the coop up at night...
he.gif

Anyway...don't beat yourself up about it...we all make mistakes. If he comes back I recommend you lock him in the coop for about a week and give lots of treats.
smile.png
If he doesn't, I'm sorry and I would chalk it up to a life lesson.
sad.png

Quote:
Thanks, that's the problem, right now there *aren't* other chicks. He was going to be a lonely boy for a few weeks while the chicks grew up until we could move the hens out. *sigh* I just wanted to get him out of the situation he was in as quickly as possible.

And thank you.. At least I know he's still down in the thicket (I can hear him crowing his little feathery heart out).. *sigh*
hugs.gif

I still feel like a moron, but I appreciate the thought.

Just a suggestion - could you maybe go stand outside the thicket and rattle the feed scoop with food in it?

Maybe he'll recognize the sound of dinner and come running??? I hope you are able to get him back - he's probalby in there crowing to say 'where the heck am I??'

Thanks guys, I know we all make mistakes, but I also have enough animal experience (including pet birds (mostly 'tiels) though not chickens) that I know rescues might seem mellow at first but their reactions will be heavily colored by their history - which in this case is being in a tiny cage his whole life.

But thanks guys, knowing we all make the dumb mistakes helps some, I just feel like an idiot..

But maybe he will come home and curl up in his roost tonight.. And not get out again for a bit.

*sigh*

Back
Top Bottom