Speaking of scoring awesome deals...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by debid, Mar 15, 2011.

1. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I bought a bundle of shingles on Sunday at Lowes. They were outside marked "cull shingles" and the package was halfway open but it's a full bundle and they're the same exact thing we have on our house and garage and shed (we happen to have half a bundle already but that's not enough on its own). $5!!! Woo-hoo! And that ends the debate over corrugated vs. shingles.

2. Weiden Farm

Weiden Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    i regularly go to the Home depot and Lowes by my house. they have an area with 'cull wood' which is damaged wood. the regularly have full sheets of plywood that are either cracked somewhere or just curved. i find the cracked ones get cut and the curved ones straighten out with screws:)

I have yet to pay more then $2-4 for a sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood - i love cull

3. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Me too! I purposefully LOOK for damaged stuff at Home Depot. I got a $100 steel entry door for my coop for $50...I found one with a crown in the casing (it was a pre hung) and asked for a discount. It doesnt hurt that I spend a bundle in there so my Pro Rewards shows that when I check out. I do property management so Im in there ALL the time. Do your communities have a curb side trash haul twice a year or so? Folks are able to put just about ANYTHING at the curb. I got over the whole "trash picker" thing really fast when I saw that a lot of people who dont want to bother with yard sales put out totally great stuff! Not to mention construction materials (I pick piles at construction sites too) My family cringes that I do this. But they are all astonished at the incredible finds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by