Speaking of words

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Jul 20, 2011.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Have any of you ever tried to play

www.freerice.com

Yes, it's legitimate and FUN! Many subjects. Of course my favorite is vocabulary, but I am using it to help my spanish vocab too.

There are 60 levels of english vocab and despite my vast word bank, I cannot crack past level 57. So, beat me!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    Someone answered 7385 question in a row! Does it mean successfully or just tried?

3. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I play it. I also change it up with art and different languages. I suck at art. The only artist I can consistently identify is Van Gogh.

4. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    What is the highest level you can get to on vocabulary? I can usually get to around 48-50, then come the words I've never seen before. I think I have a good vocabulary but I can't imagine what they are throwing out at level 60. I can usually use my knowledge of word roots to get a little further on, but that only helps so much.

The OP's 57 is truly impressive!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  5. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    mom'sfolly :

What is the highest level you can get to on vocabulary? I can usually get to around 48-50, then come the words I've never seen before. I think I have a good vocabulary but I can't imagine what they are throwing out at level 60. I can usually use my knowledge of word roots to get a little further on, but that only helps so much.

Why thank you, thank you very much.... Best Elvis impression. I use my Latin knowledge and focus on roots, but I cannot get any higher than that. 48 to 50 is right where I usually start getting them wrong pretty regularly! But it lets you learn so after a while you crack the level.​

6. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

mom'sfolly :

Why thank you, thank you very much.... Best Elvis impression. I use my Latin knowledge and focus on roots, but I cannot get any higher than that. 48 to 50 is right where I usually start getting them wrong pretty regularly! But it lets you learn so after a while you crack the level.​

Thanks for that! just used up a couple of hours [​IMG] I got a lot of the words from reading medieval based books. But still a lot I had to guess at! Got up to level 51.​

7. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    [​IMG] this is cool [​IMG] thanks Op. Do they really donate the rice? Or is it just a hoax to get you to play?

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Yes, it's a cool game. I'm a elementary school guidance counselor and a couple of times a year I take classes of kids to the computer lab and have them play Freerice. We talk about giving something back, helping those less fortunate, etc. I integrate math by tallying up the total grains won and have the kids convert that to an amount in ounces and pounds they can wrap their minds around. Teachers love that aspect of it as well as the vocabulary lessons the kids learn.

9. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Quote:Did a thorough background check - there really is rice it really does get donated. The back story on how this site got started is pretty cool too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by