Special Blacks and Browns - Sunnyside Hatchery

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kingdr85, Sep 1, 2011.

1. kingdr85

kingdr85 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    Hello,

Does anyone have any pictures of "Special Blacks" and Browns fully grown?

My friend will be purchasing his first chicks from this hatchery in Beaver Dam, WI: http://www.sunnysidehatchery.com/Pricing.php

He
    will be purchasing the Browns and Special Blacks but he was wondering what they will look like. The pictures on the website are really bad, and probably a bad representation of what the hens will actually look like. Also temperament?

Thanks,

2. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    The brown is a Cinnamin Queens and the blacks are black Sex-links

Queen

[​IMG]

Black

[​IMG]

3. kingdr85

kingdr85 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    Great - thanks!.....are they pretty easy going? loud?

4. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Yes the Queens are pretty nice the black ones are a little loud and flighty.

5. JSteinhorst

JSteinhorst New Egg

May 30, 2012
    what is the difference in looks? Mine (gender not identified) is about 3 weeks old and I am dying to know the gender... Are there any distinctive features are 1 month? It has me waiting on it at all hours like a queen.

6. Panth

Panth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    Not sure what exactly you are commenting on....if you have a Cinnamon Queen/Red Sex link or a Black star/black sex link, they are already sexed as female. That is the point of buying sex-linked chicks, they can be told apart at birth.

7. JSteinhorst

JSteinhorst New Egg

May 30, 2012
    Special Blacks are not black star chickens. And according to Sunnyside not sexable based on appearance at birth, they sex them (the woman in the office did not know) either by vent or feather. So, what I am asking is are there distinguishing features that people have noticed in Special Black at this young age?

8. CharityZ

CharityZ New Egg

Feb 21, 2015
    Can anyone tell me when to expect the Sunnyside dual purpose birds to start laying? (Brown and Blacks)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by