Special experiment!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ambria666, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Ambria666

Ambria666 New Egg

Mar 17, 2017
    California
    I've seen a few other posts in forums from a few years ago like this and none seemed successful. :c So I decided to make a forum.I'm keeping a chicken egg from the grocery store in my bra!
    Some side notes. The egg is on day 13 now and the chick has filled up half the egg. I don't wear a sports bra or any special bra. Just a regular one. The egg is tucked securely under one breast to keep it warm. It's around a constant temp of 98-99 degrees. I'm hoping that if it hatches it's a girl because roosters aren't allowed where I live. It's not moving as much as before so I'm worried I might lose it. But I'm hoping that it's just because it's getting bigger that it doesn't have that much wiggle room. Have any of you done this before????  ^_^

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'll surely be following this thread.[​IMG]
    Have you checked the temperature with a medical thermometer to insure it is at least 98?
    At that temperature, you can expect it to take a day or two longer.
    Add to that, when you shower or change clothes, the cooling period, while not a big problem, may also result in a delay.
    Below 95, you are in the range of disproportionate development when some organs will develop at different rates than others which will result in a deformed and likely dead embryo.
    I just hope you don't break the egg when you turn over in your sleep.
    Great experiment though. [​IMG]

3. slantrhymes

slantrhymes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2014
    California
    Wow! I haven't heard of this before. What a neat idea. I hope it works!

4. Ambria666

Ambria666 New Egg

Mar 17, 2017
    California
    Yes I have used a thermometer and so far the egg hasn't broken or cracked at all in my sleep. :D So if it's below 95 it might end up disproportionate? :c I've been checking my temperature constantly and thank gosh it hasn't dropped that low.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I've heard of it a few times but it is usually only if a broody hen is lost late in incubation or an incubator issue.
    This is the first time I've heard of someone doing so for the entire time.

This article gives great information about temperature effect on the embryo.
    http://www.brinsea.com/Articles/Advice/PowerOff.aspx

6. Ambria666

Ambria666 New Egg

Mar 17, 2017
    California
    When I get home from school I'm going to try and post some candling pics.

7. Ambria666

Ambria666 New Egg

Mar 17, 2017
    California
    Bad news.... I candled the egg.... And yesterday all it's veins were there.... And now today..... There's no movement.... And the veins have vanished... I can't get a response..

8. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Have patience. I wouldn't candle again till day 18 and see if the embryo gets bigger.
    How are you taking care of the egg when you change clothes? If it's warm in the house, it can probably take about 20 minutes of cooling each day but I'd still wrap it in a towel or something.

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    @Ambria666
    So, what happened?

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]No updates [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by