Special food

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickenoodle#4, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Chickenoodle#4

Chickenoodle#4 New Egg

Mar 20, 2007
    Can you give baby chicks fresh fruit or veggies for something eat besides chick starter? If so what would they like. Does anyone give vitamins to their babies? What kind of vit. would you give and where do you buy them? Thanks

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Chickenoodle#4, It's best to give the peeps time to develop before offering treats that require grit to digest. Hard boiled eggs mashed with a fork, WITHOUT the egg shells ok.

bigzio

3. Chickenoodle#4

Chickenoodle#4 New Egg

Mar 20, 2007
    I'll give that a try. Thank you for your response.[​IMG]

4. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Chickenoodle#4 :

Can you give baby chicks fresh fruit or veggies for something eat besides chick starter? If so what would they like. Does anyone give vitamins to their babies? What kind of vit. would you give and where do you buy them? Thanks

If you don't have chick starter feed yet, you can feed them for a day or two on instant oatmeal, flaked infant cereal, or other whole-grain cereals. You can put whole grains (rice, wheat, barley, old-fashioned oats, anything) into the blender and blend them slightly. Do not blend completely to a powder the feed should have some "grits" in it. Leave the feed with them all the time they will stop eating when they have had enough. I will sprinkle grit on their feed as if I was salting it.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by