Special foods/treats to Boost Healing?

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
I did my first "limb" removal tonight. A little banty pullet that had gotten frostbite, one toe was pretty bad but as advised i waited and waited for it to fall off, things looked like they were moving in the right direction up until earlier this week. the toe got a large bulge at the base of the dead part and was oozing and she had also been hiding most of the time in the corner behind a nest box.
So i decided it was time to put an end to her ordeal. I feel like I did fairly well with the removal, took the full toe off so it would be easier to bandage and not getting stubbed on anything. I wish I would have left a little more skin on the top of the foot but the rest of the skin came up to almost cover the bony nub. applied plenty of ointment, bandaged her up and put her back in the brooder with her sister(they're 4-ish months old). Her constant shivering is magically gone and she seems okay so far. she walked a little until she got to the water then drank like crazy.

What I want to know is if there are any special treats or foods i can give her to help boost her healing. I know diet can really help with things like this so I would love to know any tips to help her out.

I'd really appreciate the help!

Yeah she seems to be doing good so far. I removed her bandage to check it today and try to pull the skin together to glue it up but it just wouldn't reach. I probably should have done it right away but felt bad for turturing her so much already. So I will have to just keep it covered and pray the skin heals enough to where it will cover the bone on its own or i can at least stretch it and close it up.

I did a little reading online and am going to try fermented feed and see how they take to it and see if it helps. They were neglected before i got them and they're just starting to go though their "teen" molt and their feathers are coming out SO slow. better since i put them on chick starter/grower but still slow!

Do you have an idea on their age?

ETA Chick starter/grower down here is usually medicated for chicks under 6 weeks.

If looking to up the protein I use Wild game feed or higher still Turkey and Game feed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom