1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Special Need Chick Needs Special Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CoyoteMagic, Jun 20, 2007.

1. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I have a special crooked neck chick that I have talked about before. Tessy

[​IMG]

Her neck is so twisted that her beak is nearly under her left shoulder. She does a lot of spinning to find treats on the ground and has found that running backwards gets her places faster than going forwards.

I would feel sorry for her if not for her fighting spirit. 2 of her sisters died from being stepped on when they were a week old. She made it and continues to thrive.

Ok enough rambling.

I need to build a coop for this little one. I have been working on one similar to the BYC homepage. One problem. Tessie wont be able to climb the ladder up into the coop. She isn't even able to get up onto the low roosts that I have out in their current run.

Anyone have plans or ideas for a coop or tractor that could hold 3-4 birds that is no more than 1 ft up off the ground. I need something for this special lady

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Just a thought....

I would think a dog house would be just what she needs. I'd set it up on bricks, to raise it a couple of inches off the ground, but put bricks all the way around so nothing, like snakes or mice, could hide underneath. I'd put one brick right at the door for her to step up on to go in then I'd add ventilation and a door with hardware cloth and fill it with hay. Then she and her friends could snuggle in the hay at night instead of worrying with a roost. If you have any, I'd suggest putting a couple of silkies with her as they are gently and prefer sleeping on the floor and won't be upset about no roost. It would make egg gathering easier if you could find a house with a hinged roof.

3. Jezebelle

Jezebelle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2007
    Pinnacle, NC
    I second the dog house and the silkies!!!!

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    If you go to the BYC home page and go to the coop plans and look at monica's chicken house and then down on the list....click on bryan's coop. All you have to do is modify to make the floor lower and the ramp would be lower on either house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by