Special Needs Addition

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Creteloc, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Creteloc

Creteloc Songster

Sep 29, 2017
    Northern Utah
    **starts sad but ends well!**

This last week I was visiting family in Arkansas. While there, I was visiting my uncle's neighbor and saw a scraggly beagle puppy. He wasn't very old and was really struggling. After asking around, I find that he's from an inbred litter that was very much unwanted. THEN! Then, I find that the owner is just getting around to clubbing him, but hasn't had the time. CLUBBING a puppy. Why? He's got an eye infection, he's possibly blind, he's the runt, he's scarred up from his mother and siblings picking on him, and then there's the inbred thing.

Ok, long story short, I took him. After a lot of scrambling around, I was able to fly him home to Utah. That was a chore. No one knows how old he is. He has this odd eye infection and his eyes are swollen shut and dripping infection. I'm so mad I could SCREAM. He was so lethargic the first day I had him that I considered humanely putting him down. I meticulously pulled 28 ticks off of him, bathed him, and gave him food, and he slowly came around. He has a vet appointment with the world's best vet though, and today? He played!

So now I'm the very proud owner of Moony (short for Moonshine). We're fairly certain he's blind in one eye and has limited vision in the other. He loves to chase the cat toy I bought him (the one with the little bell inside) and will come running if you clap for him. He's a happy little guy that snuggles and wags his tail when he hears anyone talk.

20180403_141427.jpg

BTW, I know his eyes are swollen shut, but they do open after a warm compress :) We'll see what the vet says.

2. SeramaMamma

SeramaMamma Songster

Jul 12, 2017
    Idaho
    Aww. There's a special place in heaven for people like you..And one in hell for the guy who would hurt that puppy..

PeepersMama and ashlandco like this.
  3. WildCHILD400

WildCHILD400 Songster

Jul 21, 2017
    Poor little guy. So glad he found you!

4. KettermanHillCoop

KettermanHillCoop Crowing

Oct 23, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Awwwwww the baby...he's adorable! :love My friend had a blind pooch and I just asked her if she had any helpful ideas. She emailed me this link. I hope it helps!

5. Creteloc

Creteloc Songster

Sep 29, 2017
    Northern Utah
    Oh, thank you!

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Good for you! Some people are just miserable wretches, and your new puppy escaped, thanks to you.
    He's likely already exposed/ infected with every possible parasite, including the tick borne illnesses that maybe aren't common in Utah. Make sure and deal with all that too. Hope you didn't actually handle those ticks bare handed either. Yuck!
    He's very cute!!!
    Mary

7. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Great thing you're doing.
    Beautiful puppy and the best name ever.

8. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Free Ranging

Feb 22, 2016
    South East England
    My Coop
    Very sweet story. It's horrifying how cruel people can be, but it's great to have life-savers like you. I'm so pleased for that beautiful young dog.

9. Creteloc

Creteloc Songster

Sep 29, 2017
    Northern Utah
    Moony is doing great!! His eye infection is cleared up completely. Now that we have a good look at his eyes, we found out he's walleyed, which explains some of his blindness. One eye is 100% blind but we think he has some vision out of the other. He is so playful and loves to sniff around and explore.

He tried to play with my RiR hen. As you can imagine, that didn't go over well. He was on a tight leash though and we watch him very closely, so we were able to intervene quickly. Other than the one play incident he ignores the chickens. We did let him sniff a baby silkie (pictured below). He's so curious about everything around him.

He has a few 'inbred' features that just add character. His hips are misshapen, so he walks with a bit of a waddle and sits oddly, plus, his muzzle tilts to one side. We think it just adds personality though. What a little champ. We've been assured by the vet that none of his malformations cause any pain, so we're not concerned at all about them.

20180406_180018.jpg

Oh yeah. Our poodle HATES him! I read up that older dogs need to train little dogs in manners. I'm not so sure that's it. It really seems more like a hatred thing. We just keep very close tabs on them. Hopefully, the poodle comes around.

20180406_115408.jpg

Folly's place likes this.
  10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Lovely story. There are some people who are ignorant. They are capable of learning how to take care of animals or children if they care to learn. Then, there are the mean tempered, deranged nasty, shabby excuses for humanity who glory in their shame. They should not be allowed to have either animals or children. Good ending for your pup, but there will likely be countless more litters of the same under this evil man's "care".

rosieredbantam likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: