Special needs birds

Sandfly45

Songster
Sep 1, 2019
Does anyone have special needs birds? I hatched 3 turkeys in the incubator 12 days ago. One of them (Peach) has curled over toes and hasn't really grown since hatching. She's thick as pigshit but very happy, energetic and eating well. What's her future going to be like? These turkeys are pets.

Does anyone have special needs birds? I hatched 3 turkeys in the incubator 12 days ago. One of them (Peach) has curled over toes and hasn't really grown since hatching. She's thick as pigshit but very happy, energetic and eating well. What's her future going to be like? These turkeys are pets.
Hi hope this might be the article you are looking for. It is what your post brought to my mind.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...s-with-tape-picture-tutorial-and-video.75247/

Thanks! I'll try taping her toes tomorrow. She's at least half the size of the others so it is hopefully still time to correct them. Yes she was a late hatch, needed to be helped out of the egg. She got her face stuck out and couldn't pip the rest of the egg. She's vague but awfully cute!

I know nothing turkeys, but I know taping can work for ducks' feet.

I have had two "special" birds. A duck, who had nerve damage after being egg bound and was left with a nearly useless leg, and a chicken who had a stricture wound surgically repaired but is left with a barely functioning leg. The duck has since passed away, but my little Cochin Bantam continues to hop as quickly as the rest of the flock runs and she is fierce.

Good luck with your baby!

O I didn't realise getting stuck in the egg could cause physical problems! I thought congenital physical problems caused hatching issues. I had to help this wee girl out as she was 3 days hatching! Here she is asleep tonight, almost 2 weeks old, tiny but happy
20201030_234939_001.jpg

Does anyone have special needs birds? I hatched 3 turkeys in the incubator 12 days ago. One of them (Peach) has curled over toes and hasn't really grown since hatching. She's thick as a pig but very happy, energetic and eating well. What's her future going to be like? These turkeys are pets.
Iv got a polish cross with a cricked beak. Your turkey poult is gonna need her toes straightened and she may be a small turkey if she has not grown. Tape or a band aid will work for this technique.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom