special needs chick-need opinions please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by klf73, Sep 9, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have a chick that hatched almost 2 weeks ago, I had posted about it because it had a swollen head. It only went forward in circles or laid on it's side. I was concerned that it might be contagous (avian encephalitis) and had it separated. I just had a hatch a few days ago and gave him a few friends, chicks that had problems keeping up with the rest. The 2 Ancona I put in there are perfectly fine now and a black Ameraucana has issues (haven't quite figured it out yet)but they get out of the oldest chicks way mostly. The 2 weeker (let's call Shorty) now walks forward ok [​IMG] eats and drinks, but definitely no where near the size of it's hatchmates. I figure I will keep Shorty with the bantys as long as he leaves them alone. Here is where the question comes in. Whenever Shorty gets scared he runs crazily around ( I know you're thinking, ok that's normal) but he does it backwards(can't run forwards). I wish I could figure out how to do a video and put it here. I know it's horrible, but every time I feed/water them I crack up [​IMG] but the other poor chicks get stepped on and do their best to avoid Shorty's spaz attack. Would you keep a bird like Shorty? I have done vitamins and am not sure if he has any more potential.

Krista

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  2. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I am so sorry to hear Shorty has problems. Sending get well wishes to him/her. I personally would try to save Shorty. But you have to do what you think is the best for him. Good luck.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I guess I was really wondering if anyone has a special needs chicken that has a neurological problem and how it does [​IMG]

thank you for the well wishes

Krista

4. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Awww poor lil munchkin. No advice, just a good luck.[​IMG] and a [​IMG] on the imagery. Poor chickie.

5. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    My BO doesnt have a neurological problem, but does have a deformed wing. I dont know what I would do if she did have a neurological problem though. [​IMG]

I call her Nemo. I got her from Ideal and could tell right away that her wing was messed up. Its basically folded under. I thought about giving her away or having someone cull her, but I just couldnt do it. My main problem was that I thought she would be the lowest on the pecking chain and might get pecked to death. But Im happy to report she is now 6 months old and doing great! And is in the middle of the chain. She doesnt really put up with anyones crap. [​IMG]

6. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    I would keep the little guy. He sounds like he has his own little personality and even if he is "special needs", he needs love too. Maybe he may even aspire to a good broiler chicken or maybe he'll figure things out and become manageable within chicken society i.e. Forrest Gump or Barrack Obama.

Just do your best with the little guy and let him TRY to survive. I'd keep him and love him at any rate.[​IMG]

7. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

You asked for opinions so I am going out on a limb here and going against the grain of the thread so far.

It is sad when any animal is not healthy, either through injury, disease, or defect.

I live in the country and my animals are not pets therefore I look at them a little differently than those that see them as pets or as family members.

As cruel as it may sound I would cull the poor little guy/gal. Its quality of life is not and probably will not ever be good.

8. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    Dacjohns,

I see your stance and I can agree with part of your viewpoint. I was just saying that personally I would let him try to thrive and when he got bigger, (especially if he was continuing to have probs) I would convert him to soup. Or if he continues to get better as he has shown progress thusfar, live and let live...at least until he's older.

Just my take.

Ryan

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I agree with Dacjohns. Even though it is heartbreaking, the best for rest would be to at a minimum kep it seperate, worst case, euthanize it. Poor little thing.

10. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Shogun,

No problem. I was responding to the OP, not judging or rebutting other posts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by