1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"special needs" chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by backyardmenagerie, Mar 27, 2011.

1. backyardmenagerie

backyardmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Kansas
    I have a silkie chick that seems... slow. It hatched out yesterday morning. I have dipped it's beak into the water dish, but since then it doesn't seem to be drinking. I've watched it go over to the waterer a few times and dip it's beak down, then lift it's head up like it's taking a drinking, but is not dipping down all the way to the water level. It will also sit and watch the others eat, then try to eat the shavings a few inches from the feeder. It shakes it's head and spits it out, then watches the other chicks eat, then tries to eat the shavings... It's like it knows they're eating, and can't figure out that what they are eating is different from what is on the ground. I've tried dipping his beak into the food, but he still won't peck at it on his own. It looks like he's imitating normal behavior, without understanding it.
    He also has fallen asleep standing up, several times, and doesn't wake up when his beak hits the ground. He just stands there, asleep, balancing on his face.
    Any idea on what I can do for him? Or just wait, and hope he figures it out?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  2. backyardmenagerie

Mar 13, 2011
    Kansas
    He otherwise seems healthy and active. Anyone have any suggestions?

3. LucyMint

LucyMint New Egg

Mar 25, 2011
    I have a chick that was similar. I put some sugar in the water and dipped her beak in, - since then (3 days ago) she started to perk up and is doing a better job of keeping up with her sisters. (I did ab out 2 tablespoons sugar in a pint of water.) Also tried a hard boiled egg pulsed in a cuisinart - all the chicks loved this treat once they figured out they liked it. Both were suggestions from this site and worked for me. Good Luck!

4. backyardmenagerie

Mar 13, 2011
    Kansas
    Thanks for the suggestions! I've tried scrambled egg, but I'm not sure he got any. He's the smallest one in the group. I will try a little sugar in the water and see if that helps. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by