Special needs chicken needs companion

HelpingHen

Hatching
May 3, 2017
Hey everyone, I have a hen named Cricket who had a seizure/stroke when she was a week old, she's​ lived indoors with has ever since because she doesn't have the skills to free range or be around the other hens. She's a total sweetheart and loves to sit in my lap preening my hair. We want to build her her own aviary of sorts where she can be outdoors and safe for the summer but she's already very lonely when we don't have time to spend time with her and I think that will be wise when she's outdoors. I'd like to get a couple smaller birds to love in the aviary with her. Would quail be a good fit? What else would work?
Our other hens are too agressive and pick on her and eat all her food.

Is it having an eggestential crisis? My mom had one of those and we kept her outside for the summer with our small birds.

Quail and other game birds can catch diseases from chickens. Chickens can carry diseases without showing any symptoms.

How big is Cricket? A smaller breed of chicken that's known for being gentle and docile would be a better option as chickens understand each other. Or perhaps a small breed of duck? Many people have indoor pet chickens - there's a whole thread about it on this site, just search for it. A mirror is a good way to give a lonely chicken some 'company'.

Hey everyone, I have a hen named Cricket who had a seizure/stroke when she was a week old, she's​ lived indoors with has ever since because she doesn't have the skills to free range or be around the other hens. She's a total sweetheart and loves to sit in my lap preening my hair. We want to build her her own aviary of sorts where she can be outdoors and safe for the summer but she's already very lonely when we don't have time to spend time with her and I think that will be wise when she's outdoors. I'd like to get a couple smaller birds to love in the aviary with her. Would quail be a good fit? What else would work?

Hehe awww!!! That's so nice that you take care of her :3 I would maybe adopt a smaller breed chicken, at least they will speak the same language ;) !

Hi there! Are you still looking for a companion for your hen? I have a special needs small silkie. She is much smaller than normal and is extremely docile. She has trouble finding her way around and used to get lost or stuck in various places when living outside. We have since moved her in but she is lonely. Where do you live? We are in nashville.
Hey everyone, I have a hen named Cricket who had a seizure/stroke when she was a week old, she's lived indoors with has ever since because she doesn't have the skills to free range or be around the other hens. She's a total sweetheart and loves to sit in my lap preening my hair. We want to build her her own aviary of sorts where she can be outdoors and safe for the summer but she's already very lonely when we don't have time to spend time with her and I think that will be wise when she's outdoors. I'd like to get a couple smaller birds to love in the aviary with her. Would quail be a good fit? What else would work?
Hi there!
Hey everyone, I have a hen named Cricket who had a seizure/stroke when she was a week old, she's lived indoors with has ever since because she doesn't have the skills to free range or be around the other hens. She's a total sweetheart and loves to sit in my lap preening my hair. We want to build her her own aviary of sorts where she can be outdoors and safe for the summer but she's already very lonely when we don't have time to spend time with her and I think that will be wise when she's outdoors. I'd like to get a couple smaller birds to love in the aviary with her. Would quail be a good fit? What else would work?

Back
Top Bottom