Special Needs Chicken Show

Discussion in 'Online Poultry Show' started by Scottyhorse, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Scottyhorse

Scottyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2012
    Eastern Wa
    I know a lot of us have special needs chickens. I have a soft spot for them. We have one ourselves, a silkie X cross beak. I thought it would be fun to have an online show for our special needs chickens!

So:

1. Post a picture of your chicken. Any breed, age, any gender.
    2. Post a name if they have one, along with their breed, age, and disability.

I'll end this after we have 25 entries. To make it easier, please put the number of entry you are. For example, I'll be number one, then the next person number two, etc..

I'll post a picture of mine tomorrow night.

After the contest is done, anyone can vote! PM me who you think will win, and after a day I will post 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Have fun everybody!!

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi Scottyhorse,

O.K. so if your entry is number 1, then mine will be number 2.

She just laid her first egg today!! At one point I didn't even know if she would live, but now she is 'alive and well'.

[​IMG]

Name: (Amazing) Grace
    Breed: Cream Legbar
    Disability: one wing only

Raccoons attacked her when she was a chick and pulled her wing off through 1" hardware cloth, in a rabbit hutch. A word to the wise, put 1/4 inch hardware cloth over your 1" if you are exposed to predators. Here she was just after wounded:

[​IMG]

I couldn't be more proud of this pullet. Thanks for the contest...I hope lots of people will post special needs chickens so they will get some recognition.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    there was a special needs thread a while back that has a lot of special chickens in it if you wish to view them [​IMG]

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What a great idea!

5. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    This is my main man 2yr old Pharow the AGF/OEGB mix roo. He lost his right leg below the hock in a freak accident at my house last summer. A 24" X 48" sheet of plywood came sliding off the roof of my gazebo and amputated it. He healed up very nicely and gets around like a champ!
    [​IMG]

This is Little Missy a yellow legged Lieper Hatch [age unknown] and I found her at someones house living in a FILTHY wire-bottom cage that was WAAY too small for her. She was being fed junk for food. After I rescued her, I found out she could not fly or roost. Her feet are misshapen from the cage and she suffers from neurological conditions such as, poor eyesight/depth perception / walks like she is drunk and occasionally falls over. She has never laid an egg and I have had her now almost 2 years. I JUST LOVE HER!
    [​IMG]

This is 7 month old Gumbi a serama roo. He has some sort of a condition that causes him to tremble [like Parkinsons] Tried all sorts of things to fix it but..nope. He is afraid of other birds so is a loner. He does spend the day in the run but comes in at night to the safety of his little house and mirror. He LOVES the mirror. He LOVES people.
    [​IMG] tho!

I have many more handicapped ones but to watch them running around you would never know they had anything wrong with them. These guys are the obvious one...I also have a tiny Serama roo with a dislocated leg [at the hip] he healed now and gets around fine. too.

3 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by