Special needs chicken taking a dustbath on a beach towel

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wildeflowers, Nov 8, 2010.

1. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    I am sitting here laughing my butt off. I have a little 2 month old buff orp that somehow got injured. Actually I think the rooster landed on her when he jumped of the roost one day. I brought her inside and have been nursing her. Well, she's a little sick of the crate I've been keeping her in so I've brought her upstairs with me and placed her on a beach towel and she is going to town taking a dust bath. LOL Silly chicken, she is just having a good old time and now instead of getting my work done, I'm sitting here watching a chicken take a dustbath on a beach towel. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Omg, how cute!! Thanks for the pix!!

btw, cool towel! [​IMG]

3. kerriliane

kerriliane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    I love it! How silly!

4. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Awwww.....she's so cute!

5. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

She doesn't look "special".

6. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    I call her special needs because she loses her balance and is having trouble walking around. She tends to sit back on her haunches and flops over backwards a lot. I'm not sure what's wrong with her specifically, other than just injured. She is a real sweetheart though. I do hope she recovers. I have no intention of keeping a house chicken permanently. I joke about with my husband though because it makes him nutty. [​IMG]

(That towel is so ugly in reality. It is an absolute 80s special. It has panthers on it. LOL You would think it would be tigers right? But no, they are panthers. It belonged to my husband and just won't die.)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  7. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    try giving her some vit B12, may help her with her balance, seems to help them walk better. I ahd a hen siddenly unable to walk and looked it up here and found this advice, worked for my girl. Even if she is lame from an ingury the Vitamins won't hurt, they will give her strenght

8. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures! Too funny! Hope she's OK, she sure is pretty![​IMG]

9. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    That reminds me of the baby squirrel I raised. We would give her nuts and then laugh as she tried to bury them in the tile floor. Your chicken is a hoot.

10. Willowsong69

Willowsong69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    New Hampshire
    How cute is that? The title alone made me giggle...I enjoyed the pictures that went with it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by