special needs duck

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by stumble_n_mumble, Jul 5, 2010.

1. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    pick up only. he needs a good home. he is missing top part of his beak. is a male. has a green head and a chocolate body with bright blue feathers. eats pellets OK but i noticed eats better if you pour pellets at the bottom of the water dish. for adoption! not for sale [​IMG]

2. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Awww, he's adorable! I'd take him in a second if I was anywhere near you--alas, all the way across the country!

3. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Your such a sweetie! Now I just need to get you over to my house to see my BLRW pullet with the crossed beak that needs a home! [​IMG]

4. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Quote:Your such a sweetie! Now I just need to get you over to my house to see my BLRW pullet with the crossed beak that needs a home! [​IMG]

Hey, I'll take her! [​IMG] I love special needs animals! All my birds are pets, so it doesn't matter to me if there's something a little off with them as long as they have a good quality of life!

5. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    i too have a crossbeaked hen she's an EE, any thoughts on what happens that makes them have a cross beak? When she was little she didn't have one but one day i came out to the coop and it was a little off and ever since the bigger she got the worse it got but she is a character and eats and drinks fine.

6. chickee

Quote:Same with mine~ started to show when she was 2 weeks old. In my case, the only two chicks to hatch from these lines have crossed beaks. I know the breeder is trying to keep this line pure, hense inbreeding. I'm sure that is where the problem lies. I don't know about the EEs. I have never had one that developed a crossed beak. You could post the question to other EE owners who have had this problem.

7. chickee

Quote:stumble_n_mumble, Sorry if we have hijacked your post! Hope you find someone as kind hearted as SilverPhoenix to give your duck a home. Good luck! [​IMG]

8. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Crossbeak is a genetic defect, and it is passed onto offspring. Those birds should not be used for breeding.

Wish I could help you out on your duck. Here's hoping he finds a good forever home. [​IMG]

9. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    he found a home [​IMG] thanks everyone [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by