Special needs duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by miss maria, May 13, 2016.

1. miss maria

miss maria New Egg

May 11, 2016
    I got two muscovy ducklings but one of them (which I think is a female) is not growing much. Her eyes are not centered like normal ducks, her beak was fine when we first got her but as she's getting bigger, the tip of her beak is not growing right. The top of it is growing upwards which makes it hard sometimes for her to eat. She also has to mimic the other two ducklings before she will do anything. She didn't know how to swim in the mini pool with the others until a few days ago. I have worked with her and have become her close but I really want to know if she is a special needs duckling or if some are just born like that.

2. duckeg

duckeg Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    Im sorry to say she has beak deformity

It may be a Trauma ,Lack of light exposure (vitamin D) ,Nutritional Imbalances (vitamin A deficiency) or lack of minerals
    Post a pic pls

3. duckeg

Feb 9, 2016
    Take him to an experienced vet ,some beak deformities can be cured by trimming the overgrown upper or lower beak to the appropriate length, which restores normal contact zones and thus normal growth of the beak

4. miss maria

miss maria New Egg

May 11, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Tiny!

[​IMG]
    This is Vio, the other duckling I got with Tiny.

5. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    [​IMG] She's so cute! I would take her to a vet, too. I hope it can be fixed!

6. duckeg

Feb 9, 2016
    Hmm thnx God It's not that bad ,

7. miss maria

miss maria New Egg

May 11, 2016
    Why do you think she's not growing much?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by