Special Needs Hen stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bleu chick, Mar 5, 2013.

1. bleu chick

bleu chick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I have a 2 year old Blue Wheaten Americauna Hen named Bailey. Bailey was fine when hatched up until about a year old. Then one day she started limping. I thought maybe she got stepped on and thought it would pass. But it never did. It not a problem with her foot but her hip (do chickens have hips?). When she walks its like she has to kick it out and then around to the front.

Of course the other hens pick on her. I baby her because of this. Then she started staying in the coop all day to avoid the other hens. I also have a very old frizzle bantam that was hiding out with her. I felt bad for them so I have made a "Special Needs" pen for them. This way they can get out and scratch the dirt without the other hens bothering them. They both get along great.

So my problem is that Bailey stopped laying about 2 1/2 months ago. I miss her pale blue eggs.

I dont see how this is attributed to her hip problem since she layed almost a year after it occured. And she is so young(just turned 2) so I cant think of any other reason. Her sister has layed consistently this winter. Plus we have had a super mild winter in Texas.

She was recently wormed with ivermectin but that didnt do anything.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. And if you know what her hip problem is actually called I would love to know.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    You might want to have a vet do a blood test on her to make sure it's not a disease causing the lameness and egg production lose. Hope i'm wrong but, I think you should check it out.

3. bleu chick

bleu chick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I dont take my chickens to the vet. Ever.

But to update - Bailey started laying again. I have gotten an egg from her every day in the past 4 days.

Who Hoo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by