Special Needs Hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Stacykins, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    What would you do in this case? What are your thoughts?

I have an olive egger who will likely be a permanent member of my flock. She's a great layer, but an olive egger, and I want to focus on Araucanas. I'd consider her mildly special needs. Do you think I'd be able to sell her, with her need for some additional extra care? Or would that be too irresponsible? I'll post pictures, so you can get a better idea.

Back when she was a young chick, a turkey tom suddenly decided to start attacking the chickens. Another chick and a duckling were killed, and I grabbed up this girl before he killed her too (he was butchered the next day, the tom). Anyway, her lower mandible was badly damaged. I took her away from the hen who was raising her, because of the damage and brought her inside. Because the bleeding stopped, and she was able to eat and drink without problems, I decided not to cull her. She grew to be a healthy, productive girl.

Except for one issue. Because her lower mandible is permanently damaged, it doesn't line up with the upper mandible. As a result, the upper part of her beak doesn't wear down as it should from normal use, pecking and scratching about. So it slowly will become overgrown if not trimmed. I expect if her beak was never trimmed, it might eventually inhibit her ability to eat and drink.

I haven't trimmed her beak in a couple of months. It is due to get done. Pictures were taken today.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Unless space is really an issue, I would be tempted to keep her. There is no guarantee that someone else would be as attentive to her needs as you are.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I agree.... unless someone like me came along and wanted her....but some people don't keep up with things like we do. Most of my special needs birds stay here for life unless someone I know singles them out and I'm convinced they'll care for them..

4. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    I would keep her also. BTW she is very pretty! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by