Special needs pets

dolphinlvr4

Songster
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Savannah ga
Does anyone remember what thread there was that was devoted to special needs animals? I've inherited a 3 wk old pullet that's got a broken leg n the other is a lil deformed but otherwise she's healthy n spunky. Just wondering what other people have tried. Ty!

Maybe you could build a little.cart with legos or pvc pipes. Something with wheels. I know there was a person who build one before. My only special needs pet right now is a mini dachshund with occasional seizures

Awwww that's a great idea but I wonder how she would roost w a harness on. I'd have to take in on n off I guess I'll see how she grows n adapts, so far so good. We curl her up n a sweatshirt n carry her around n she just sleeps so well. We r trying to destress her so I guess I'm now running a chick spa. Lol. O my gosh, I need a hobby! Lol.

At three weeks old it might heal on it's own. I've had four birds with leg problems, three of them healed and one I had to cull. The three that survived would flop around pathetically but they could still move, the one that I had to cull laid in the same place for nearly two weeks before I lost hope and put it down.

Last edited:
I've noticed she's more able to balance herself on the legs but still uses one wing sometimes for bal. she's still eating n drinking like a linebacker! Lol

Does anyone remember what thread there was that was devoted to special needs animals? I've inherited a 3 wk old pullet that's got a broken leg n the other is a lil deformed but otherwise she's healthy n spunky. Just wondering what other people have tried. Ty!
euthanasia

Last edited:
I will euthanize her if her quality of life isn't good but she's actually improving a lil each day. Today I noticed her foot was a lil purple so I took off the tape n it returned to pink. I think she's gonna walk w bent legs if she adapts n make it to adulthood but she's a fighter n as long as she's not giving up n improving I'm not gonna give up, at least not til I absolutely have to

I will euthanize her if her quality of life isn't good but she's actually improving a lil each day. Today I noticed her foot was a lil purple so I took off the tape n it returned to pink. I think she's gonna walk w bent legs if she adapts n make it to adulthood but she's a fighter n as long as she's not giving up n improving I'm not gonna give up, at least not til I absolutely have to
Hopefully it is not Mareks or another type of dehabilitating disease... good luck.

Last edited:
Ive heard of that. What are the symptoms? She eats alot drinks normally n poops alot. Other than her walking basically on her elbows she's totally on schedule w her growth

Back
Top Bottom