Special needs pets

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by dolphinlvr4, Feb 22, 2013.

1. dolphinlvr4

dolphinlvr4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    Does anyone remember what thread there was that was devoted to special needs animals? I've inherited a 3 wk old pullet that's got a broken leg n the other is a lil deformed but otherwise she's healthy n spunky. Just wondering what other people have tried. Ty!

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Maybe you could build a little.cart with legos or pvc pipes. Something with wheels. I know there was a person who build one before. My only special needs pet right now is a mini dachshund with occasional seizures

3. dolphinlvr4

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    Awwww that's a great idea but I wonder how she would roost w a harness on. I'd have to take in on n off I guess I'll see how she grows n adapts, so far so good. We curl her up n a sweatshirt n carry her around n she just sleeps so well. We r trying to destress her so I guess I'm now running a chick spa. Lol. O my gosh, I need a hobby! Lol.

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  5. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    At three weeks old it might heal on it's own. I've had four birds with leg problems, three of them healed and one I had to cull. The three that survived would flop around pathetically but they could still move, the one that I had to cull laid in the same place for nearly two weeks before I lost hope and put it down.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  6. dolphinlvr4

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    I've noticed she's more able to balance herself on the legs but still uses one wing sometimes for bal. she's still eating n drinking like a linebacker! Lol

1 person likes this.
  7. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    euthanasia

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  8. dolphinlvr4

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    I will euthanize her if her quality of life isn't good but she's actually improving a lil each day. Today I noticed her foot was a lil purple so I took off the tape n it returned to pink. I think she's gonna walk w bent legs if she adapts n make it to adulthood but she's a fighter n as long as she's not giving up n improving I'm not gonna give up, at least not til I absolutely have to

9. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Hopefully it is not Mareks or another type of dehabilitating disease... good luck.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  10. dolphinlvr4

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    Ive heard of that. What are the symptoms? She eats alot drinks normally n poops alot. Other than her walking basically on her elbows she's totally on schedule w her growth

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by