Special Needs Serama Free (See Details Inside)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Larkspur88, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    Adopted this year and a half old bird out of state. He's nice looking. He had lice. Sevin dust cleared it up. As soon as I pulled him out of his box he sounded raspy. He's been diagnosed on this forum as having Chronic Respiratory Disease. This means his choices are to either be culled or to be rehomed where he will be a pet ONLY and not around other chickens and birds.

So I decided to give this guy a chance on here and I will try craigslist too. If you know anyone who might want a serama rooster who doesn't have other chickens and can keep him get in contact with me! He is spunky and active despite his gurgling sounds. I can't keep him. He's too much of a risk to my other birds as a breeder. I just have too much invested to have it all lost, but I have to big of a heart to cull this bird without looking for other options first.

Again he must go to a home where he will be an only chicken. CRD can be spread to other fowl. He should get over his gargling after his round of antibiotics, but in times of high stress he may shown symptoms in the future which may require another round of medication.

Pick Up Only and he is FREE

I am in Sumter, South Carolina

[​IMG]
    Size comparison with my kitten (His tail feathers will grow back. The breeders daughter yanked them out on accident)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone care to give a sweet serama roo a chance at a retired life as a pet in their home?? [​IMG]

2. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    you know it might not be that, as i had one get it from after horrible weather, and was going to cull, but just put vinager in water for while, and kept dry, warm, and cleaned out and off, and switched to medicated chick feed for temp, and he is now fine, and has another roo with him, that is still healthy as can be. P. S. if he has it its airborne, and can be transfered by your breath and on you more than just shirt and hands, so could be in air and on things. yes it could be a corvo carrier all its life, but if is it a shot would sure right away, and tell you if its needing to be kept from production flocks for food or show/breeding.

3. Larkspur88

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    Quote:He's in my bathroom. The venilation is separate from the rest of my chickens in the garage. But I have been avoiding handling him other than the few photos tonight. Just makes it easier. He's on duramycin and vitamins/electrolytes I started today.

He seems to be quite a fighter of a bird so I hate to cull him. He was crowing off and on all afternoon. My husband says he sounds like a cellphone going off in the guest bathroom.

4. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    awwww... lol i hope you find him a great home!

5. aarronh

aarronh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Meadville, PA
    The duramycin may not touch it... I would try a few shots of Tylan 50 if you have access to it... I bet you would hear the raspyness clear up in 1-2 days...

6. Larkspur88

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    Thanks. We have to wait though. The only tylan the store had was the gigantic bottle. [​IMG] They were out of the small one

7. pgross8245

pgross8245 New Egg

Apr 1, 2011
    Awww, I hope you can find the little guy a home, he is so cute. So nice of you try to help him out. Best of luck to you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by