Special needs splayed leg chicken (4 -5 months old) how do I keep her leg warm?

entropyy77

Chirping
10 Years
Dec 1, 2012
We took in a special needs hen who has a splayed leg as well as two partially functioning feet. We live in New Jersey and it gets VERY cold here in the winter today it is only 35degrees. I purchased some window winter insulated curtain material ( the kind with the tin foil like material sandwiched between fabric) and some fleece and 10 below thin vinyl with the hope of constructing some type of "legging" with an attached bootie to help protect her leg from the cold as she can not pull it beneath her to keep warm. She has a bantam and 1 large fowl as coop mates but they roost at night above her so they are not providing any warmth. Should I remove the roost to force a situation that will hopefully allow her to snuggle up to them at night? But during the day in the run she is often by herself as the two others are moving about a lot. I could put a heat light into the coop but it wouldn't help during the day when they are in their run, plus I am concerned because we often lose our power and would be afraid that a drastic temp drop would be dangerous . I have never kept a full grown chicken in the house so if that is the only option any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! We have a rather prey driven dachshund and a cat that would be home with her while my husband and I are at work I could possibly gate the dog out but the cat would still be able to sit on any cage type housing I set her up in. If anyone as advice please help she really is a wonderful girl , we named her "sweetie" ! Thanks!

I would take out the roost or add a light. Taking out the roost may make the others a bit stressed but she sounds like it would help her. You can do both. I would do both. Good luck with Sweetie!

Back
Top Bottom