1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Special requirements for my broody hen & my fertilised eggs??

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by justinedare, Aug 16, 2013.

1. justinedare

justinedare New Egg

May 17, 2013
    Pontypool, South Wales
    Hi everyone, I have a broody hen who sits all day on her & my other hens eggs. they aren't fertilised as I have no cockerel. I have bought some fertilised eggs for her to sit on. Is there anything special I need to know or do?

2. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Welcome to BYC from West TN !!

Swap them out and give them 21 days, mark your fertile eggs so that extras do not get mixed in.

3. justinedare

justinedare New Egg

May 17, 2013
    Pontypool, South Wales
    Thanks. I've marked them with a cross & just put them in the coop with her, she is happily sitting on them at the moment. So do I just watch & wait? :)

4. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Yep 21 days there about's some may go a couple of days longer or sooner.. When mine get close to hatch I will usually isolate her so that the rest of my flock will not mess with the new ones. You can candle at day 7 and see how they look.. look for the thread hatching 101 i think it is and it has some good candling info.

She will probably quit the nest when she thinks all are hatched so i check the unhatched ones to see if it is alive.. Then will put in the incubator.

Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by