Special Services

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by yelim, May 15, 2010.

1. yelim

yelim Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Plant City, Florida
    SPECIAL SERVICES (PER CHICK): In small flocks IDEAL does not recommend having any of these services done to your poultry. Marek's Disease Vaccination (chicks only) 10¢ Debeak 6¢ Dub (clipping comb) 6¢ Dewing 12¢

This is from Ideal Poultry web sight. I emailed them to ask why they do not recommend these services. No answer as yet. Can anyone tell me why not get them vaccinated at least?

2. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    I don't know why they wouldn't recommend the mareks vaccination
    In our area it can be a problem, so I get my chicks vaccinated even though I only have a few. Mareks can wipe out an entire flock if you have it in your area. The beak clipping and dubbing.....I may be wrong here, so someone else with more experience will hopefully chime in....seems like those services would be for hens that are going to live in crowded conditions where pecking would become an issue. If you are only getting a few and are going to give them a humane amount of space and let them range, that shouldn't be an issue.

Again, I'm not an expert....but I would go for the mareks vaccine and leave out the rest. You could call your local AG extension agent and find out how prevelent mareks is in your area if you would prefer not to vaccinate.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by