Special trick? or Normal? need someone with baby chicks to try this!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bald k9, Sep 22, 2011.

1. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    I got my chicks 2 days ago and today i was going thru and holnding each one to get used to human touch, and I had one chick cupped in my hands and the chick was standing facing sideways kinda of nervous chicky like, so i used my thumb and just rubbed real soft back and forth under the wing and after a few strokes it JUST FELL ASLEEP! I thought I had hurt it or something, then it stood back up like it woke up, So I tried it again and it fell asleep again,Then I grabbed another chick and it did the same thing, and all but one did it! Please try this if you have a dayolds, and let me know ,if it does it , also why do they do it and is is normal? Thanks

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. Alas

Alas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    Your hands are warm and they cover the chick like they're under momma's wing. Its normal [​IMG]

3. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Bummer i thought I found the sweet spot, Never thought about the way momma hen did it! [you party pooper you!][​IMG] I feel kind of stoooooopid now LOL

4. HappyPlace

HappyPlace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2011
    Middle of the Mitten
    Don't feel stupid! It's amazing when they do this!! [​IMG] I have one month old chicks and some of them still do this with me. [​IMG]

5. Chickiegirls2

Chickiegirls2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    dont worry...
    abseloutly normal.
    good luck!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. 6chick*start

6chick*start Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    NE OKlahoma
    Hahaha!
    About 4 hours ago I came home with 3, not even 24hrs old, fluffy butts.
    Even as they were just now perking up and voraciously devouring their first real meal, egg + chick start, I tried it. ZONK ... out!
    Hahaha!

7. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    My 7yr old daughter can get any age chicken to fall asleep in her arms or on her lap with the stroking.... they seem to do it easiest if you pet either under the wing or the throat area...... LOL it always gets company to laugh and be amazed like she has special powers! She is just very gentle and patient with them..... pretty funny to see a LF hen laying on its side legs outstreached looking dead..... Then you bump her and she jumps to life!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Haha. I LOVE it when tiny chicks fall asleep in my hands. Cause after a few days they always enter the scaredy phase and act terrified of me...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by