specific bumblefoot question (swelling in top webbing vs footpad bottom)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alinamaemac, Jan 15, 2015.

1. alinamaemac

alinamaemac New Egg

Jan 15, 2015
    Hello BYC, I always read these forums but now I have a question that I can't find an answer to. If this has been discussed before, can someone point me to it? thanks.

My question is: when bumblefoot presents as a lump in the webbing between the toes (when seen from above) or as swelling on the top, how does this relate to the swelling in the footpad, where the black scar is usually present? I have read that the top area cannot be reached through the pad, but are there necessarily separate "kernels" in both regions that need to be removed?

I noticed my hen had a lump between her toes, seen from above, and after reading everything I could about bumblefoot, I opted to do the surgery. By the time I had the information and tools required, the lump was turning black on top and opening. I first attempted to find a kernel in that area but could find nothing but blood. After a good soaking, I then turned to the foot pad (bottom), removed the black scab, removed the waxy plug, and removed 6 small kernels. The bottom is healing up, but the top of her foot still looks like this.

[​IMG]

It is still swollen and there is obviously necrotic tissue that I may need to remove if it is having trouble healing, but is there a kernel in there I need to remove? Do I have to cut open that area and try again to find something? Or does solving the issue on the footpad eventually bring down the swelling on the top?

(she's soaking in water in the picture)

thanks a lot, and my apologies if this has already been discussed somewhere!

alina

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Since you opened the top and couldn't get anything out, I think you did as good as possible when you got the kernels out of the bottom part. You could try some warm epsom salt soaks to help clean up the wound, and then keep some Neosporin or iodine on thd top of the foot.

3. alinamaemac

alinamaemac New Egg

Jan 15, 2015
    Thanks. I will do that and hope for the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by