Specify Hatcheries = Winning Birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SaraF, Aug 7, 2010.

1. SaraF

SaraF In the Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Ohio
    I just got back from State Fair and learned a whole ton of a lot. Learned to give them electrolytes, and cut their feed the day of show. Choose the birds from the meat quality, and not how large they are. But there is something I was wondering while I was there..
    The winning birds were the Bulldogs of the Cornish X. I know that some hatcheries have specific bloodlines, and are comparably better birds than others. Is there any specific hatcheries that give you that Bulldog effect in the chickens to making them more of the winning birds at fair?

2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master 11 Years

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I am not sure how your 4-H thing is ran but in my county, all the kids meat birds are purchased from the same place, so a different strain or better genetics is not possible, giving everyone an even chance. of course thats not the way that the other animals are done but thats the way chickens are done here.

As far as your questions go, I imaging it is a possiblity that different hatcheries do things differently producing better or inferior birds than other places.

3. terri9630

terri9630 Songster

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Quote:I wish it was that way here. They don't have any restrictions at all. Last year a leghorn rooster was in the meat class and his crowing in the barn was sooooo annoying!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: