Speckeld Sussex 4 weeks old - Can you tell me the gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by akirkley, Feb 23, 2012.

1. akirkley

akirkley Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    Mississippi
    I ordered a roo - and I'm hoping that's what this is! I ordered 4 SS, but 3 died. This was the only one left, and I'm hoping this is my little man. His comb is MUCH larger than all my other chicks (BR, RIR, Wyandotte and some EE). So, I don't have any other SS to compare him (her?) to. I'm not sure why my pick is sideways. Is that a wattle coming in?
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Whoa! That's the biggest comb I've seen on a SS that age! I think it's safe to say it's a boy.

3. akirkley

Feb 23, 2012
    Mississippi
    Yay! I mean, I figured, since his comb is almost 3x the size of all my other chicks, but I know this site would for sure know! This is my first time raising chicks.

4. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I have 3 SS pullets who just recently started laying eggs. When they were chicks, their combs and wattles seemed bigger than my other breeds and I worried about them being boys. I couldn't find a pic of them at 4 weeks old but here is a pic of 1 of the 3 at 5 weeks of age. Her comb is not as big as your chicks and she is 1 week older

[​IMG]

And a pic of all 3 of them at 6 weeks of age.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  5. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Cockadoodledoo!!!!

I'm so happy that's what you wanted :)

6. akirkley

Feb 23, 2012
    Mississippi
    Yes, his comb is much larger than the one at 5 weeks. He's such a friendly little guy! I hope he stays nice. He's always the first one to come up to my hand. I just don't want to be scared of a rooster, ya know? My husband was the one who really wanted a roo, and I read on some sites, that SS Roos areole of the more friendly breeds. I sure hope so. At least I'm pretty sure ican keep calling him Mister now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by